Image Map

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

This Bulletin Board is a Real Crowd Pleaser!





This is a bulletin board that I have done every year since my 2nd year of teaching.  And, every year, teachers, staff members, and parents pop their head into my room to tell me how much they love it!!!


This is the book that inspired the bulletin board, The Best Part of Me {M. Tingley, Wendy Ewald}.  I learned about the book through a workshop I attended awhile back, and I can't for the life of me remember the name, or who lead it.  But it was good.  Really good.


This bulletin board is awesome for the beginning of the year.  It celebrates every single child in your class.  And believe me when I tell you that the kids LOOOOOVE it.  They just think it's the coolest thing to pick their favorite body part.  It's not a question they're asked often, or really need to think about, so they have a lot of fun.  And you should see what they come up with.  Their answers are funny, creative, and surprisingly deep.


I model the board just like the book.  This is not a piece we edit.  Whatever they write is allowed.  We brainstorm using a web, they write a copy in pencil, and then I gave them a black marker and they write their final copy.  I don't know what they loved more: writing in marker, or not having to make any revisions/edits to their writing! 


After they write about their best part, I photograph just that part, and print it in black and white {just like the book}.



I have uploaded the planning sheet, as well the bulletin board sign to our TpT shop for FREE!  The beauty of this bulletin board {and the writing assignment} is that it is meant to celebrate the students, and it doesn't need to be {nor should it be} frilly.


I do this at the end of the year, but I am considering starting next year off with this bulletin board.  It's a really good one no matter when you do it!






This bulletin board really shouldn't be done without the book, which you can buy here.


Let me know if you use it!  I love the feedback here, or at my TpT shop!  And if you do use it, please follow my TpT shop for more {free} resources!


{If you missed the link above, click here to go to our TpT shop}


And remember, we're hosting a give-away here!!  The deadline is sometime tomorrow morning!  Don't forget to enter!


Give-Away Now Closed


Halle

7 comments:

  1. Often times we humans focus on our worst parts, not our best. This is an inspiring idea. I can even see it turning into a classroom book that the kids read all year long. Thanks.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a SWEET idea!!!
    I might have to steal this! Thank you.
    Amy
    Where Seconds Count 2nd grade blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an inspiring idea!! I am going to have to look for that book.

    APril
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog. Excellent boards. I make great boards, too. Kinda looking forward to next year since I got 2 new boards at years' end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic idea - this bulletin board is SO moving! Since I teach 1st and they can't write very well right off the bat, I am going to save this until January (MLK Day). Thank you so much for sharing :)

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, bummer - I missed the giveaway :) but I'm loving this bulletin board - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Are you writing a comment? Yay! I love reading them!