Image Map

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Favorite Things Linky: Beauty Basics


Favorite Graphic
It’s Thursday and you know what that means! I’m here with my favorite things and waiting for you to join me :)

This week’s topic is “Beauty Basics”.  Now, I’m a bit of an oxymoron when it comes to beauty.  I’m 30 years old and I still feel like I can’t apply make-up correctly or fix my hair up right, BUT I’m a little bit of a snob when it comes to buying make-up.  I love going into Sephora and Ulta and wandering around, and I am on the hunt for the perfect summer red/pink/orange for my lips.

I’m hoping to find some new beauty favorites with your link-ups, especially for my super-thick, frizzy in the summer, hair!

My Beauty Favorites:

Let's start with my mug:
smashbox

About a year ago my mom took me to Nordstrom’s for my birthday to finally get me some big girl make-up.  I have so many friends who are addicted to MAC, so we headed straight to that counter.  Although I have sausage fingers, short legs and frizzy hair, I’ve been blessed in the skin department.  I can literally count on one hand the amount of pimples I’ve had in my life. I am extremely blessed that way.  Because of that, my new make-up consultant suggested a combo of a primer and tinted moisturizer because they would do the trick on my skin.  She brought over these two Smashbox ones and I was hooked.  Primer changed my life!! Your make-up stays on so much longer!! Now this make-up isn’t cheap, but I usually wait until I have a 20% off coupon at Ulta and stock up then!

Slide2

My make-up snobbery continues in the “eye area”.  I’ve had my Naked Palette for 7 months and it’s still going strong.  This is probably because I rarely, rarely wear eye-shadow, but still, I ‘m in love with this rectangular case.  I also like Urban Decay’s mascara, Big Fatty, probably mostly because of it’s name ;)

Slide4

When it comes to my lips, I’m not too picky.  I usually have about 6 lip glosses in my purse at any given time and most are Bonne Bell. 

Now, onto my hair:

Slide3

I have to have leave-in conditioner otherwise I would probably break my comb in my hair. It’s just that tangly.  I’m not partial to any brand because I haven’t found one that seems to work better than any others.

Heat

I need to apply heat to my hair in one manner or another for taming purposes.  I usually straighten it to about my ears to get the kinks out, then curl the bottom.  I use Hot Tools curling irons, but I’m wondering if there is another brand out there that gets hotter…if so point me in the right direction, please!

Slide5

Put me down as one of those people that hope sock buns stay in style forever.  In the summer, they’re my best friend.  I’m actually getting pretty good at them {especially for someone who is “hair styling challenged”}.

Exhibit A:

sokc bun

And last, but not least...
tutorial
When I’m feeling adventurous, or when I have to actually make myself look really nice, I love a good You Tube tutorial.  My hair and make-up rarely turns out the same as the friendly demonstrator, but it usually looks a lot better than when I’m left to my own devices!

And there you have it, Halle’s Guide to Beauty!

What are your Beauty Faves? Link up!

Next week’s topic is “A Festive 4th”…link up with your BBQ favorites!

Thanks for playing along!

Halle

9 comments:

  1. Great beauty products that you posted! I am into sock bun too! But I have only tried with a "real sock". Where did you find the hair donut at?

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. a hair donut!!! Oh my! I am growing my hair out and I will need these!! I love a good bun! Where did you find these gems!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bun is soooo puuurty!!

    ((HUGS))

    Tiffany

    One Fab Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always so jealous of how your hair curls at the bottom! It looks like Kate Middleton's! Mine will not do that. I only use primer when I'm going out/to a wedding...which is, ummm...two times a year? Haha I should use it more often!

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh your bun look awesome! I use the Wrap Up, but it makes my buns too tight sometimes. I may have to purchase one of those bun donuts! Thanks for a great linky! :)

    Fashion Craze Learning Days

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the donut, but my hair certainly doesn't look as good as yours in it! I guess I'll need to check out a YouTube video! Thanks for the fun linky!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this link! Thanks for hosting. I've never seen the donut. Looks super cute in your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting. I'm the least likely to have valid beauty tips, but I linked up anyway. If I didn't have short hair, I'd need a hair donut! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love Smashbox tinted moisturizer!! It's great for my freckles!!! Everything else looks pasty!! Thanks for the great tips.


    Live Laugh and Love to Learn

    ReplyDelete

Are you writing a comment? Yay! I love reading them!