Image Map

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Five for Saturday and Win It!!!!!


Good Morning :)

It’s been a little while since I got to join in on the “Five for Friday” fun, so I figured Saturday was as good a day as any!

And here we go…

1) We’re knee deep in all things fall and Halloween at school.

We’ve begun our “Spider Parts of Speech”

3-photo (13)

I switched this little crafitvity up from how I’ve done it in year’s past. Previously, students came up with 8 adjectives the described them and put them on their spider legs.  I decided this year to focus on the 3 major parts of speech instead.

First, I had students research spiders in the computer lab.  We used their graphic organizers to help find different parts of speech associated with spiders.  Then, I showed a short video on spiders and we brainstormed some more verbs, adjectives, and nouns.  To cap it off, I read a Scholastic book on spiders to them.  They sat on the carpet with their clipboards and wrote down any word I read aloud that was their assigned parts of speech.

I can’t believe I forget to get a picture of the finished spiders. I haven’t hung them up yet, but I will post a picture when I do!

photo (58)

(Last year’s spiders on display)

Read more about how I did Spider Parts of Speech in year’s past by clicking here.
Check out Spider Parts of Speech by clicking below!

Spider Speech Cover


2) We’re pretty knee-deep in Halloween at our house too. 

2-photo (14)

1-photo (18)


4-photo (15)
Yes, that’s a hammock on my screened in porch. Yes, I live there despite the cooler temps.

3) More Halloween!

I gave away a few spooky FREEBIES this week on the blog:


Ghostly Greetings Cover
(Click the picture to grab it!)

A fun activity for working on dialogue. I even made it into my Halloween bulletin board:

2-IMG_1154

-Halloween Main Idea Passages

Halloween Main Idea Cover
(Click the picture to grab it)

I just projected these on my interactive whiteboard for a fun and easy practice activity!

And I mean to “reshare” a few oldies but goodies…I guess now would be a good time!

- Halloween Bump (3 versions)
ghost bump
(Click pic to grab)

and Halloween Math Match-Up

Slide1

photo (66)
(I was low on ink when I took this picture, it’s cuter than it looks, promise! Click the pic to grab it!)

4) Even More Halloween (and you can win it!)

I’m pretty excited about my newest TpT unit!  I plan on using it the week of Halloween with my kiddos to introduce inferring.  I present to you Costume Clues…

Slide1

This little unit can be used as a “Read the Room” activity or as a center. I need to get my kiddos up and moving so you can guess how I’ll be using it!

Students read the clue cards and decide which costumed kid is being described…
Slide3

Slide4

There are two different sets of clue cards. One for the primary grades (K/1)

Slide5

and one for the bigger kids (2/3)

Slide8

It also comes with recording and extension sheets

Slide9


Slide10

This is a unit I know my kids are just gonna eat up!

Want to win it?  Comment below with your favorite Halloween candy. Don’t forget your email! I will announce the winner on my Facebook page tonight before bed!

5) With all this Halloween stuff I’ve been pretty busy, but I ‘ve still found some time to relax with the hubs, our furballs, and some junk food.

Georgie Girl Hammock

Love hangin’ in the hammock with this girl, a blanket, a good book, and a fall candle.  It’s heaven.

And I found a new obsession last night…

1-photo (12)

That would be gelato. Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato, to be exact. Divine.  I debated having it for breakfast this morning.  Seriously.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  I’m excited to have nothing on my calendar for the day. It’s the first time in a long time, so I’m set on enjoying it!

Don’t forget to enter below to win “Costume Clues!”

and go link up with Doodle Bugs!

fiveforfriday2_thumb3

Halle

40 comments:

  1. I know they aren't specifically for Halloween, but I love tootsie rolls! Those giant bags of tootsie roll and dots are too good to resist this time of year.
    Kayla
    Rooting for Third Grade
    crei9070@vandals.uidaho.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmel Cookie Crunch is the best! Yum, yum, yum. I'd love to win your Costume Clues unit. Absolutely adorable. My favorite Halloween candy is candy corn.

    Jhunter0724@yahoo.com

    Jeannie
    The 2nd Grade Surprise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mini boxes of dots. It is always a hit or miss as to how fresh they will be, but I loved trading my sister for them.

    Marcy
    SearchingForTeacherBalance
    searchingforteacherbalance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has to be Milky Way or 100 Grand! The Halloween Costume unit looks adorable and fun! Thanks for being so generous!
    st_kloeffler@smfcsd.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to pick one, but my favorite Halloween candy is cherry Twizzlers. (boring I know)
    anhudacek@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite Halloween candy isn't really halloween specific, but it is Hershey chocolate! Your Halloween costume unit looks wonderful! I would love to use it with my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Peanut Butter M&Ms! But any type of M&M will do. Your Halloween Costume Unit looks absolutely adorable! Thank you for the other freebies.
    kburch@sjbplymouth.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love LOVE peanut M&Ms. I keep a bag in my desk at school! missplott{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing all of your amazing teaching projects. My favorite halloween candy is sour punch straws. laurie.anastasio@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you please come decorate my house? Thanks in advance. You have such a great eye for decoration!

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll help you when we go to those estate sales, remember?!

      Delete
  11. My favorite Halloween candy is ... *gasp* ... not sure I have one! I tend to go for Reece's peanut butter cups and M&Ms but at Halloween I'll eat Butterfingers too. I only eat them about 1x a year because they stick so horribly to my teeth!
    Chris
    cryazzienj@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anything with chocolate like M&Ms and Sixlets! :) Great inferring pack!
    jmcpang78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Sixlets! I forgot about those. Loved them when I was a kid :)

      Delete
  13. My favorite ANY time candy is chocolate, love them most with nuts! I can't think of a Halloween specific one though. The costume inference is very cool....I'd love to have it. stoufert@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anything Reese's! Love this unit! Jennhat@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peanuts M & M's are my favorite - luckily I don't have a nut allergy. I love your costume activity - how fun!

    skrevat@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks adorable!! I am a candy/chocoholic, but my favorite is probably cancy corn mixed with peanuts ;)
    Vickie
    Vick727@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like Halloween M&M's!

    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your Halloween decorations. They make me miss the days when I was a little girl and my mom would go crazy with the decorations. I like your Halloween match-up game. I will be pinning it and will use it as a Halloween center in my second grade classroom.

    My favorite candy would have to be anything chocolate and peanut butter... Especially Reese's Pieces!

    Elizabeth
    2ndsatbeach@gmail.com
    Seconds at the Beach


    ReplyDelete
  19. I like Hershey's chocolate!
    lraines78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this and I know my kiddos will too! thank you for the ghost freebies as well! My fave candy is by far almond joys! MMMMMMM! Fingers and eyeballs crossed! I need this for the week of Halloween!

    lalangton1@gmail.com

    Leigh
    The Applicious Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  21. Halloween decorations looks awesome. My favorite candy( Halloween or not) is Snickers. I am going to try to find your gelato as well . Love anything with caramel in it. atozteacher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Halloween decorations look amazing! I am so not creative when it comes to decorating (my classroom is hard enough and I always have help to do that!). My favorite candy is Twix, and I love how during Halloween they come in tiny two-bite sized packages so I don't end up eating too much.
    andrea . m . lee85 @ gmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to win this...what a great idea! My favorite Halloween candy is candy corn...YUMMY!
    meandmy3dogs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. My favorite Halloween candy is anything CHOCOLATE!! Make it a Reese's and it's even better! :o)

    Cindy
    ccfirstteacher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Peanut M&Ms!
    scrambledhenfruit(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Peanut M&Ms!
    scrambledhenfruit(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am in love with your new product...so cute and fun yet teaching a concept so hard for some kids. I am a Reese's peanut butter cup girl so I would have to say my favorite fall candy is the Reese's pumpkins! Amandapamperedchef@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love a peanuts and candy corn mix this time of year!
    michele.berens@usd410.net

    ReplyDelete
  29. Three Muskateers's! But I am weak around any candy :(
    Leslie
    sixbeachbums@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. My favorite candy is Pumpkin shape Reese's peanut butter cups. LOVE all your Halloween activities...you are so creative. Thanks for all the freebies. I hope I win your Costume Clue unit...we are starting our unit on Inferring Monday & this would be a great addition to our activities!
    brookebecker@cinci.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. The inferring pack is perfect and would be a great way to start! I love it. I always seem to search my kids candy for either bottlecaps or kit-kats. I love to dip them in peanut butter!!!

    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anything with chocolate and caramel!
    Jean D.
    Jeanied@ameritech.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. Candy corn! I so need this one for a library center. Putting it in my wish list just in case...
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love anything chocolate!
    morethanmath@yahoo.com
    -Monique
    More Than Math by Mo

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would love to win this new unit. I love your blog and everything you have to offer.
    My favorite Halloween candy is the bite sized Butterfingers. I guess I feel less guilty eating the snall ones than I would the big one.
    Thanks, Cristal
    cristalhalve@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awww, your pup is sooo cute! Hammock time sounds heavenly! So does that gelato-might have to look for that one! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  37. I saw your new inferencing activity today through posts on facebook and love it!! It's perfect for my students! I know your giveaway is over as this was from yesterday, but I'll still jump in with my favorite Halloween candy. Love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I picked up a bag to hand out to the trick-or-treaters next Sunday because we hardly ever get any so it's Trick-or-Treat for me! ;) So glad I found this blog. I teach 2nd too and love your ideas and products!
    Cathy :)
    C is for Cookies, Cakes, Children, Classroom, and Crafts

    ReplyDelete

Are you writing a comment? Yay! I love reading them!